St. Hilda’s Memorial
This is the memorial wheel erected to commemorate the deaths of the 51 men and boys who were killed in an explosion at the St. Hilda’s Colliery in South Shields on 28th. June 1839. It has recently been cleaned up and given a new home just yards from the mine shaft where the disaster occurred, after the building of a new supermarket in the town.
Camera details: Pentax K100D, 28mm lens, 1/1000 second, f8, iso 200