The parish church
St. Hilda’s, South Shields
St. Hilda’s church has stood on one side of the Market Place in South Shields for far longer than the town itself has existed as a modern entity, there has been a church on this site since 647 ad. St Hild’s Church was founded in South Shields by St Aidan, Bishop of Lindisfarne on 15 acres of land endowed by King Oswin, with Hild, a nun, in charge of the work. Hild was born Princess Hild in 614 and was brought up in the court of her uncle Edwin of Northumbria, she went on to become Abbess of Whitby and she died at the age of 66 in 680.
The church in South Shields was rebuilt by the Normans in around 1100 and was rebuilt again in 1812, in 1845 it became the parish church of South Shields.
Camera details: Pentax K100D, 28 mm lens, 1/15 second, f5.6, iso 800