St. Hilda’s Colliery, South Shields
St. Hilda’s Colliery in South Shields was opened in 1810 and closed in 1940 and at it’s busiest in 1921 employed over 2000 men, however a disaster in 1839 claimed the lives of 51 men and boys.
All that remains now are the head workings and the wheeel house and one of the winding wheels which took men up and down the Church Pit shaft to it’s five seams.
These replica helmets lying on the floor of the cage represent and commemorate the lives lost in the 130 year history of the mine.
Converted to black and white and tinted with Photoshop
Camera details: Pentax K100D, 28mm lens, 1/30 second, f4, iso 200, flash fired.