The Earl of Durham’s Monument is a folly built in 1844 on Penshaw Hill. The Monument stands 136 metres above sea level. Built as a half-sized replica of the renowned Temple of Hephaestus in Athens, the monument dominates the local landscape. Penshaw Monument was designed by John and Benjamin Green and built by Thomas Pratt of Sunderland, based on the Doric order. The Monument is the best preserved model of a Doric Hexastyle temple in Britain. The Marquess of Londonderry presented Penshaw Hill as a suitable site.
This was the view of the monument from Cleadon Hills in South Shields as the sun set earlier in the year.
Camera details; Pentax K100D, 270mm lens, 1/125 second, f13, iso 400